Spring Bulbs

I am perfectly willing to admit I have an addiction. It's one I am not prepared to give up and one Mr. B is perfectly happy to support. Luckily, it only takes pennies from our pockets once a year. My problem (which is not a problem) is spring bulbs.

First and foremost is the daffodil. I LOVE my daffs. There are many reasons of course, but primarily because they remind me of the springs I spent in England as an undergraduate and then for graduate school in Cambridge. I remember the first time I walked into Holland Park in London 2008 and saw the swaths of daffodils. They were taking over the grass, it seemed, in the most cheerful and endearing manner. I have dozens of photos of those particular daffodils, which covered my walls once I moved back to the states. When Mr. B proposed to me, I was presented with a beautiful bouquet of daffodils, tulips, and Dutch iris (which I dumped on my lap on the drive home, but that is another story).

Holland Park, London, England, February 2008


Holland Park, London, England, February 2008


The first year we moved into Bluebird house, we planted 300 daffodil bulbs. The next year, another 100. At least. I think I might have lost count by now.

Along with the daffodils, we have hyacinth, grape hyacinths (one of Mr. B's favorites), tulips, crocus, snowdrops, and a few early iris. These spring bulbs take so little effort, and they bring such joy! The last few weeks here at Bluebird House they have pushed through the cold ground, stretched towards the sun, and now a few of their faces are beginning to show. They really are the heralds for the gardening season.
Grape Hyacinths, 2018

                                       
                           
Spring 2018
                       


Tips and Tricks with Bulbs:

Spring bulbs are planted in the fall. Here in the Mountain West, we plant ours between September and November--but if it starts freezing, it's too late. I try and get mine in in early October.

Another tip if you live in the U.S.: Costco has great bulbs for great prices! Often you can get a bag of 100 daffodils for $20. They also have beautiful mixed bags of tulips.

One of our favorite tools is a bulb planter. (Here is a link to one like we have). Mr. B usually goes around digging the holes, I follow after placing the bulbs with a "good luck!" and our boys cover them with dirt. It's a great opportunity for teamwork.




Comments

Popular Posts